Twenty-four members of the same family have been confirmed dead in Danzanke village of Bargaja ward of Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
Rural Post learned the sad incidents was caused by use of a fertiliser type of chemical, popularly called ‘Gishirin Lalle in Hausa’ as seasoning in domestic family cooking which was considered as common salt.
Confirming this in a statement was the state Commissioner for Health, Dr Ali Inname.
He said the entire family who ate the meal lost their lives, except two female members, who merely tasted the food and are currently responding to treatment, with very good chances of survival.
“Attempts to save the lives of all the affected people by providing the needed medical care proved abortive,” Inname said”.
The commissioner urged the public to learn from this incident and keep away such poisonous chemicals from easy reach.